Does Direct Mail Still Matter for Small Businesses?
After decades of decline, in 2020, direct mail is becoming an increasingly effective way for small businesses to reach customers with promotions and product information. One of the reasons for this is that younger generations don’t associate getting postcards, brochures, or letters from businesses as strongly with “junk mail,” as older generations do. There is greater trust in mail than in email marketing, for younger potential customers. That’s why, if you aren’t currently using direct mail marketing to increase awareness and convert new leads for your business, you are missing out. That being said, you’ll still need an effective direct mail strategy, starting with using engaging, high-quality envelopes, brochures, and other business printing material that will help make your business stand out. If you are in Atlanta, reach out to HARP360 today to get in-house printing services and turn your high-quality direct mail strategy into a reality!
At HARP360, we see every client as a partner, always focusing on creating win-win situations for our clients. We are committed to providing unmatched quality products and aim to provide small businesses with solutions for things like inventory management, kitting, printing, and more, all in one easy-to-use place.
To give your direct mail the best chance it has to bring a massive success, driving unmatched marketing results, this guide goes over some of the best ways to make your direct mail stand out. But first, what is it that direct mail marketing can offer that online marketing fails to do?
Direct Mail vs. Online Marketing
Don’t be mistaken — online marketing is a great way to get people aware of your business and increase your revenue. However, combining your online presence with direct mail marketing is a much stronger marketing strategy, especially now that it’s proving to be increasingly reliable. Compared to online marketing, direct mail is:
- More Memorable — Think about how many emails the average young person gets a day. Hundreds, most likely. In comparison, they probably only receive a few pieces of mail a day, if that.
- More Effective — A recent study has found that direct mail campaigns generate an average of FIVE TIMES the amount of purchases than an email campaign does. Combining direct mail with email campaigns makes for a much more effective marketing strategy than just email alone.
- It Lasts Longer — Unlike an email campaign, where you’re unlikely to get a second glance (or even a first one), direct mail sits on a person’s table and gets more attention throughout the day. According to RetailWire, the average “lifespan” of direct mail is 17 days. Compare that to the lifespan of an email (maybe a few seconds…) and you’ll start to understand why direct mail marketing can be so much more effective.
- It Has a Better Response Rate — According to DMNews, direct mail has an average response rate of 4.4%, compared to the 0.12% of an email campaign.
How to Create an Effective Direct Mail Strategy
All that being said about the effectiveness of direct mail marketing, you’re throwing away your money if you are unable to stand out from the crowd. Here are some tips for creating a direct mail marketing campaign that drives the high level of ROI you’re looking for:
The first group of people you should target with direct mail marketing are your existing customers. Whereas a majority of people will throw away marketing material from brands they haven’t heard of, past customers are far, far more likely to consider your services if they have used it in the past.
However, if your goal is to continue expanding your customer base, you can’t just focus on people who have purchased from or used your service in the past. When targeting people who are coming in cold and know nothing about your brand, it’s crucial that you target potential customers who have expressed interest in the category of service or products you offer. You can use customer demographic information from places like the USPS Every Door Direct Mail program, or you can rent or purchase quality mailing lists from companies like DirectMail.com. The harder, but ultimately most effective solution, would be to work to build your own house mailing list. In the long run, that method will most likely provide you the strongest ROI.
Direct mail gives you the opportunity to be creative with your marketing. Sure, you could send out boring old letters that look like bills, but why not create something unlike anything your recipients have ever seen before? Throw a party in their mailbox by:
- Using customized envelopes or postcards
- Making interactive letters
- Using smart, unique copy to convey your offering
At the end of the day, though, what matters most is that you are making your recipient feel something. But we’ll save going into that for our next blog post…
The Groundwork of an Effective Direct Mail Strategy
Make sure you are using engaging, high-quality envelopes, brochures, and other business printing material that make your business stand out from the rest. If you are in Atlanta, contact HARP360 to get in-house printing services and turn your high-quality direct mail strategy into a reality!
Stay tuned for our next blog post to learn some more effective ways to maximize the ROI of your direct mail campaign.